Thursday, November 13, 2014

Perfect fit


Way back in college days, I remember reading  about "goodness of fit" in a parenting class, referring to the match-up between parent and child. The phrase I guess stuck with me a bit, and occasionally I have exclaimed to RD, "me and (blank) are not a good fit!" when so often my own weaknesses seem to compound the struggles our kids are having. Or even be most of the problem. RD is always supportive and reassuring at those times, but I still often feel like I am NOT the mom that has the right strengths for them, and that I am woefully inadequate. Which I am if I expect to be perfect, and to do it on my own. Which I don't ...There is lots of comfort in the hope and grace of the Atonement to help me be better, and that I am not on my own here, but still, I want to be totally better now!
Anyway, as we drove home from the Saturday session of our church stake conference we were talking of one of the talks, by Elder Godoy, about how we are placed around people as part of God's design. Not a new concept, and I have thought  about how my kids and I must have a plan and purpose in being together, but as I again mentioned the 'fit' of me with the kid(s), RD said, but it IS a good fit, because that is what God intended, and wanted, so it must be good, so what do we do with that.
I don't know why, but refuting that phrase 'goodness of fit' changed my perspective.  at first it made me think, well, it means I have to try super hard to be like Christ so I don't mess them up.  but as I thought about it, and decided to give up the phrase, goodness of fit, it was pretty empowering to think about how God in his perfect wisdom sent these great kids to us, and so it must be the perfect fit. Yes, it may be so that I can learn from them, but that is still pretty awesome. And it might even be cause we need each other, that they need me! So even when our weaknesses push each other's  buttons, we are the best fit! So, me and (blank) are the best fit! And I'm so glad we were all put together! At least, 99.9% of the time. I'm still working on, well, everything.

1 comment:

Dad said...

What a great insight. All of you kids were very different, as it is now easy to recognize, but we learned from each other, and relied one each others strengths to help the whole family. Still polishing of the rough edges of mortality (as Joseph Smith termed it) requires friction and generates heat as well as light.