So we are all different, and have different strengths and weaknesses. I can think of one strength I have, but a whole lot of weaknesses come to mind. Like really being organized, and generalizing information, like seeing an appt.on the calendar, and remembering it when I am somewhere else.
First day of school was an early release, so I didn't think they had to pack a lunch. I'm not sure why I thought this, I never checked anything, it was just in my brain. The kids were up early, 6:30, excited//anxious for school. I checked if they had brushed teeth/hair, had what they needed, and got a quick snapshot of them before they excitedly went off on their bikes to school. The kids dress themselves, and even if I tried, they refuse any input on
their wardrobe. Which works for me most of the time, but as I was
waiting at the red gate to pick up the kids and saw all these girls from
Grace's class in fun outfits for the first day, I kind of wished I
could dress her up a bit. Like give her a braid, or get anything that
coordinates. but I also love that she loves her own ideas.
Anyway, Cameron and Grace walked off toward their classrooms after I admonished Cameron once again to look after her. I watched them run off, and talked myself out of following them. I waited around awhile with Bree in the stroller, she busy watching all the activity and wishing to play on the playground, me hoping for a glance of the kids or Reese. I heard a familiar Hi mom, and there was Reese, biking over from his math class at the junior high. His locker hadn't opened for him, but he was confident, happy, and affectionate. I loved it, and he cheered me up.
I went over to a neighbors house for her annual cinnamon roll/back to school celebration/consolation, and had fun, ran an errand, and then came home to a message that I had missed an appointment at my house. woooopps.
I went to go pick up the kids, and when they came out of class, it was a bit of a mess, and took awhile for each of them to realize I could see each of them, even if they couldn't. As we started our walk home, Reese thanked me for coming to meet them, and said he liked it, and then we talked about their classes. By the time we got home the boys had left me and Grace behind, and Grace told me how they had "no party, and no fun" in class, and it wasn't a great day. And there was no Ms. Joy there like she expected. When we got home, and I told them banana bread would be done soon for snacks, they all told me how they didn't have any food for lunch! I felt so bad I sent them to school with no lunch on the first day!
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for the snapshot. I am sure the kids felt loved even without a lunch. I must have made the banana bread even tastier!
Post a Comment