Sunday, January 13, 2013

I love warm houses.

 A couple Saturdays ago the boys went over to a friend's house, and we thought we'd take advantage of the time to go hit a couple geocaches. Grace is usually up for anything, whereas the boys are eager to voice their concerns and objections in bothering to go on hikes.I guess we maybe went on too many wet, cold, or more than 2 minute hikes for them.
 So we headed out to the Oregon Trail park right by our house. It was much windier and colder than we'd prepared for, and I was counting my blessings I was never a pioneer. perhaps out loud. and perhaps just a tiny bit comparing the virtues of modern life to tramping around freezing our cheeks off looking for junk. i mean um, 'swag'.
Especially when RD said we had to dig in the frozen dirt to find the cache. with my bare hands.
luckily, he and Grace found it, no digging required, 10 feet off, and Grace was so excited to find a little blue marble. We headed back for the car, and when RD asked if we wanted to do another one, Grace and I agreed home, and some hot cocoa, was a higher priority. I think we're with the boys on this one. I love hiking, geocaching can be way fun, but I am done going on cookouts/hikes/picnics/ etc when it is cold out! it will actually get warm here, so I can wait till spring. in my warm house :) maybe next year, after we've almost died through a real summer, I'll love snowshoeing again :)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

That's so funny! I agree with you on the warm house idea. Especially with how cold it's been out there lately. Aaron is from Canada and for the life of him he doesn't understand why snowshoeing is such a loved sport/hobby in the states. "Why would you do something for fun that is usually a necessity for doing work?" I hope you all relished your hot chocolate.