Saturday, March 3, 2012

Ultrasound

We went to 'The Ultrasound" right before we left to Hawaii. Like the others', we were very excited for it, and even brought the whole troop to see their new sibling. The whole experience was so disappointing I didn't think I could write about it without some ranting, but I think enough time has gone by. And a cool friend asked me about it, and I thought maybe it wouldn't be totally boring :P
So, this was our eighth ultrasound, the fourth 'Big One', so we were pretty set in our expectations. We arrived, and the tech asked 'why are you here?', and then "so why are we doing this again?" (since we'd had an early ultrasound to get a date). He seemed very annoyed to be there, and told us he was filling in for someone. We should have just rescheduled then. But it'd been hard to schedule a time RD could come, so we go on. He tilts the screen so only he can see it, and when RD mildly asked how it was going, he retorted "I don't talk when I'm thinking", and went on silently, with a few mumbles to himself. (this is the part where if I was still mad I'd say he wasn't thinking when he was talking either, but I've gotten past that... er, woops)
What really upset me was he didn't seem that mad the rest of the time, and even at one point did talk to us, saying our kids were doing better than his kids would have. I could have more sympathy if he'd just had a bad day, but he was just totally insensitive. But the next thing he said was, 'all right, you're all set, you can go"
Really!? No look at the baby, no asking if we wanted to know what sex it is, no pic, no commentary, nothing?!
I was shocked, and therefore silent, but RD asked how the baby was doing. The tech said he couldn't officially say. RD said well how about unofficially? and the tech said everything looked pretty decent. Not the most reassuring words. Then RD asked if he knew if it was a boy or girl, and the tech said he'd maybe put $20 on a girl, but you can never know etc. and went on short lecture about how you can never be sure until the baby comes and people should not buy stuff or paint rooms before a baby is born.
So our kids were asking us what it was as we left, and Cameron and Grace were sad, since they'd been so excited to see what it was. I have to admit I cried some when I got home; it was such a disappointment, it is usually such a meaningful time to see and bond with the baby, and I didn't even get to see it on the screen. I know even with a fun ultrasound you don't find out what it is, so I'm more ok with that part. Though we have both boys and girl, we got rid of all our baby stuff when we moved up here, so it would be nice to have better odds. So the short answer to my very long tirade, is we don't know what we're having. $20 doesn't seem much to bet. I"m not quite sure how to answer when people ask what we're having. Do we even say it's maybe, or probably, a girl?

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Saddest story ever. I am so sorry debbie!!!

The Dillons said...

I was looking through Angie's blog and saw your picture and wanted to check on your blog and see how things are going. Angie mentioned to me that you are expecting. I am way excited for you. That doctor was a jerk! I can see how that appointment was very disappointing. I am sorry it went like that! I guess you just say "It is probably a girl" and smile...hopefully people will leave it at that.

Carrie said...

That's such a rough story. I'm sorry. I was disappointed this pregnancy with ultrasounds as well. I NEVER got to see her on screen. Whenever we asked to see the screen, the tech said the doctor would turn it when they came in, but they never did. So Aaron got to see her, but I never did. It's such a bummer. I'm sorry he was such a pain and rude. Well, hopefully it's a girl like he said (just because that's the closest guess you have) so you can be all prepared.