This year was the 40th anniversary of the Sitka Music Festival. I love that Sitka is such an artsy small town. Last year we didn't see much of it, so this year I was determined to participate. There were 2 free lunch concerts each week (for the month of June) so we all met to have lunch there one Monday. The music was nice, but the crowd seemed to be almost all 70+, so we were a little stressed out trying to keep kids quiet, and since we were running late, I hadn't packed enough lunch for everybody, which meant loud kids.
Even so, I wanted to go again, and thought the Summer Solstice Concert at Totem Park would be fun. For the first time, there was an outdoor concert at the fort site at Totem Park, put together by a member of the SMF board that is also a NAD dancer. The kids weren't that thrilled with the idea until I bribed them with chicken nuggets from McD's. The concert being about art and nature, there were a bunch of recycled glass starfish created by some middle school art students arranged around the perimeter. Cameron and Grace loved running around the clearing, pointing out the starfish. Grace said "another one, another starfish, look, another starfish!" so excitedly each time, it was cute:) They'd show each other ones they liked and point out the different things they were decorated with.
The music was wonderful, and it was fabulous to hang out in the warm sun, seeing friends there, and enjoying the ambiance. I love how whenever we are near grass, Grace always opts to sit/lay in the grass instead of on the blanket. Grass is precious here, especially if it's not wet. We had to leave too soon to pick up the babysitter for dance, I'm glad we were able to go. RD and I were also able to go on a date to once of the evening concerts, which was fun:) Our favorite piece was Brahms Piano Quartet in F Minor, Op. 34
No comments:
Post a Comment