Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fish butcher (warning: may contain some disturbing images)

RD was so excited when he caught his first King, as I was too, and it was especially nice that he filleted and took care of it all. The second one he caught early in the morning, so I had to take care of it while he was at work.
Ah!!
I've never even taken care of a trout, RD always got it ready. Now I have this 15-20 lb salmon to cut up?!
So I watched a view video tutorials, and got ready to attack the fish. I had everything out, and reached down into the cooler to pick it up... it was so heavy and slimy I couldn't get it up on the counter for a few tries! It was already stiff and bent from being in the cooler, so gross! It was so heavy it slipped in my grip and fell against me, sliming my arm and body, and I have to admit I let out a little bit of a squeal. eww. But, I got my knife and got to work, slicing off heads and fins and belly. I spent an hour filleting my first salmon, which was a little mangled, but I was happy I actually did a pretty good job getting the meat off the backbone.
The skin grosses me out...i mean, I'm picking off sea fleas and scales all over... so I took another hour to skin and bag it all.
RD brought another two home recently, caught by a friend, and he claimed I did a better job filleting than him, so I should do it. I was flattered enough I went along, filleted those two fish and helped RD bag them all in an hour. "I'm getting better!"

6 comments:

Leslie said...

You are a much better wife than i. I don't think i could do it (one guy who "proposed" to me even included in his proposal a promise to never make me clean the fish he caught! Haha!) Way to go! You are so cool. Love you guys!

Carrie said...

Wow! Way to go. I've only gutted a fish. I've never filleted a fish and I DON'T like fish skin. Good job braving that.

Debbie said...

Ew, gutting is fish would be much worse than filleting I think. I plan on never doing that!

sambritt said...

I am jealous. I wanted some Salmon the other day, and had to settle for Great Value frozen salmon in a bag.

Robyn said...

Yikes! Yet another reason you're the right one for RD!~

Mulder said...

Yet another reason why I'm the luckiest and most blessed husband in the world!