Sunday, April 4, 2010

Getting Out!

We took a quick trip to Anchorage last week so the two kids could see an audiologist. We had booked the 6 am flight out to Juneau and then on to Anchorage; we all woke up at 4:30, and hurried with cereal in bags for breakfast to the airport. RD had even checked the flight before we woke the kids up. We were told at 6 that there was fog in Juneau, and were updated every half hour that we would be updated in half an hour! until 8:30, when we were finally able start boarding. after getting everyone on, we were updated that we'd have to wait for another update; we waited in the plane for another couple hours getting updates every 30 min to wait. we were told a plane the week before had to wait on the tarmac until 3 pm before it took off..... fog is a common flight delay especially in Juneau. (waiting in Sitka)We eventually took off around 10:30, and after circling Juneau for awhile we landed, to wait for others to board. We were all so hungry and exhausted when we finally got off in Anchorage. We had to wait for RD to get the car, and then ate 'breakfast' at 3 pm at the first place we saw on the drive to the hotel...village inn. we had NOT ever planned or put that place on our list of restaurants we wanted to hit 'in the city', but we were too hungry and tired to look around. Remind me not to travel in the winter here.
The audiologist went well, though Grace's tests weren't as thorough as would be preferred, which I was disappointed about. She's supposed to get another test to get each ears' audiogram in three months, but we'll see if we can get an audiologist here. SEARHC insisted they would not fly anyone for audiology again, and I was told from ANMC , that the SEARHC ENT and management thinks it doesn't need an audiologist. (!!!!) Well, my kids and a couple others in the community do. so we'll see what happens.
We took a drive down toward girdwood, saw some dall sheep, and got a great view of a moose; running across the road right n=in front of us that we barely missed! It was funny when the kids started complaining how long the drive was so quickly; they're definitely getting used to not being in the car more than 5-15 min at a time!
The best part of the trip for me was definitely visiting the temple. how I miss entering that holy place, and that feeling of knowing I am where I belong. I think the least stressful part of the whole trip as a family was waiting at the airport in Anchorage; cameron and reese each playing with their new toy (with gift$, yeah!) in the square of sun on the floor, while Grace danced around and ate a pb sandwich. RD and I got to take a breath and relax..whew! Anyway, we're glad to be home!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Wow! What an ordeal! Though I still think you live in one of the coolest places I can now see what the sacrifices are. You and RD sound like you handled it amazingly. Especially with 3 kids! You are so wonderfully patient!
I'm glad to got to see the temple. We've always been blessed to live within an hour of the temple wherever we've moved. Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am to be so close.