courtesy of Reese
Has anyone read Wemberley Worried. by Kevin Henkes? I did Family Home Evening on that book, (about a girl going to kindergarten) read the story, talked about it, colored and cut out some copied characters from it to make straw puppets, and role played some conversations Reese might have at school, etc. It went well, and Reese seemed to appreciate it, but I think it was me that really needed it! I have been so stressed out and worrying about kindergarten. Not that Reese would have a hard time... he has loved the past 2 1/2 years of school, and in fact, didn't want me to come with him to the hour long first day of kindergarten, parents required (I had to emphasize that latter part). I've been so worried about what kind of services he's getting, who's doing what, how will the FM system work, what about his hearing aids, etc.
You see, way back when Reese was a baby, we were referred to an audiologist who was good, but had very little experience with children. Among many other problems, Reese was prescribed hearing aids that aren't used for kids.. they work as aids ok, but they're just not appropriate for kids. Which we didn't know until Grace got hers. One of the drawbacks to these aids is they don't use an FM boot system, technology that gives his aid a direct signal from a microphone the teacher wears. Pretty important for a school setting. I have been worrying so much about what kind of hearing aid to get for him, if we had to also buy the FM, and having to actually buy the aids. (not cheap). I thought the colorado school district would be the place to find answers, but no one really responded since it was summer break. All I did find out about a week ago was they don't sell ear molds or aids or FM! Shock! Provo school district's audiologist Kim Hepworth is great, and we could have bought them for cost with a totally minimal markup for shipping. Now we'd have to buy them from a middle man and pay a lot more money, gulp.
Now, the righteous prosper, and that doesn't have anything to do with finances. We finally got a meeting with all the school personnel we'll be working with when they got back from break. We got all our service questions answered, then turned to the audiologist to hear about the FM system. Well, he pulls out this still shrink wrapped new infrared system, and tells us all about it, and how it's so great, and doesn't need any extra hardware, .... wait, what! ?! He doesn't need an FM boot with the infrared! so as long as that goes ok, we don't necessarily need to buy new aids! Wow! What a blessing! And all my other worries were alleviated in that meeting.
It's amazing how the Lord takes care of our family. And amazing how worked up I can get over stuff! Usually I know if a big decision we've made is right, cause I don't worry.... and only the Holy Ghost could bring that about!
4 comments:
I'm so glad it all worked out for you!
If you have any problems and do decide to get an FM, some states (you'll need to check) offer assistance in getting them through the early childhood development programs--you might be able to get one for Grace, but use it for Reese for now.
I hope he loves Kindergarten! Is he in a regular kindergarten, or a HI class?
You have such a beautiful family!
Reese looks so excited to ride the bus. Emma starts school tomorrow. She can hardly wait!
Sometimes I feel like Wemberly too.
Post a Comment