
We're hangin' in here at Ft. Collins! As a part of my 3 week internship orientation, we did a little "team building" by going on CSU's high ropes course. While most individuals were frightened beyond words (yet somehow many four letter words seemed to escape the majority of mouths), I had a blast! If any of you know me, I love climbing, rapelling, and doing crazy stuff. Thanks to my dear friend Nate K., this course was old hat. I had a great time running on tightropes, swinging from ropes (with some serious rope burn consequences), and jumping from point to

point without grasping my safety line for dear life. This experience couldn't have happened at a better time to build my confidence, because it's a bit intimidating to be surrounded by many individuals with a plethora of clinical experience. This was my opportunity to show my willingness to trust, and to let go.It's been interesting being LDS here. While I'd like to say I've had lots of missionary experiences, they have felt more like defenses of my faith. Perhaps it comes from my knee jerk reaction to stand up for what I believe instead of hearing first what the other person is trying to say. There's an individual whose sexual orientation is homosexual and in front of a group of 14 individuals, including her, I was asked how I reconcile my LDS faith with LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) individuals. Talk about being put on the spot. While I know where I stand according to my religious beliefs, it's difficult for me to translate it into a professional dialogue. While I want to share the gospel with these individuals, it feels that I am somewhat on trial and not exactly surrounded by individuals who are looking for the "good news." I'm not quite sure how to handle the situation, yet I have hope that Heavenly Father will help me find the living words to not only express my stance in language understandable to those who surround me in a non-offensive manner, but to also create a space for missionary work to take place.
We also went to a Choctaw Nations meeting down in Denver. It was the first time that I was actually surrounded by those who were of my own tribe. It was a very special experience. Chief Pyle was there and I thanked him for the scholarships that the tribe has offered me in the past. When he found out that I'll be a psychologist soon, he suggested I talk to their health clinic executive director about working for them. I talked to him about the possibility of working for the Choctaw Nation in Oklahoma, he was quite enthusiastic about getting us down there and said, "let's keep in contact until you graduate and lets get you a job in Oklahoma." While it was exciting to hear such a possibility (actually having an income and being closer to our dear friends the Kings), OK isn't quite at the top of our list for places to work (no offense Kings!) But it would be really cool to give back to the Choctaw Nation as a way of saying thanks for my heritage.
Well we're kind of starting to get settled in here... it still feels a bit weird to be here in CO. I think it's mostly because we're still trying to find our "sea legs" so to speak and get used to life here. We've had the opportunity to see my family a couple of times now and that's been a wonderful support.
Reese is starting Kindergarten this next week!!! CRAZY!! He's growing up so dang fast. I think Debbie and Cameron will be impacted the most with him being at school all day, everyday. But, we're pretty sure Reese is going to love it! Well this is long enough for now. We'll talk later!
2 comments:
If you need any pointers on tact or suggested dialog around G & L-s let me know.
you look hot in those shorts!!!
Family Proclamation and there have been some great general conference talks. I think Pres Packard and Elder Oaks. See what they have to say and then just quote them. You've never been one to offend. So if they ask, give them an answer straight up. (no pun intended, well maybe a little)
Darrick
Post a Comment